Well, fair enough on the lw idea, and I can deffinately see why you wouldn't
want to shell out that sort of money for the java sapi developement kit on a
free game.

I would personally love command of a single shipk carrying out missions gtc
style, not only could you have a variety of objectives from seak and
destroy, to patrol, to purely scientific scanning for objects or survivers
from an attack, but  As you said yourself, we have a lot of detailed info on
how the trek ships function, which would lend itself to a complex game, and
I'd personally very much like the experience of commanding a spaceship in
detail, as opposed to yet another space invaders varient.

Just because you could not use sapi though, that would not necessarily
preclude the possibility of user created missions, afterall, people
deffinately have the option to record or find original voice samples for
mission orders, ---- or even extra sound files for mission objects if
necessary, and there is so much in the trek universe a lot of diverse sorts
of missions and interesting stories could be told this way if it were
possible.

Beware the Grue!