Hi Claudio,
What you are thinking of is a really nice idea, but is pretty
impractical under the current circumstances. There is quite a lot of
logistics involved in building a development team that would have to be
worked out. Here is just a few of the biggies I see would be a problem.
First, all developers would have to be skilled in the same programming
language. From what I have seen there is developers using VB 6, VB
2005/2008, Java, C#, C++, Python, etc. Basically programming languages
with little to no similarity to each other in order to a forge a common
development platform. The C# and Java developers could probably work
together since both languages are similar, but really if you don't know
the underlying packages and dll files for that language coding
similarities won't mean much.
Second, the developers that work together should have similar skills and
experience behind them. When game company x, commercial game company x,
hires employees they try to hire programmers with similar experience and
skills. Why?
That is because if all members on the team have the same skills and
experience no one has to look over their shoulder and see if they are
doing their job correctly. Else the in experienced dude will make
mistakes the experienced programmers will have to go back correct,
rewrite, whatever involving more work. The experienced dudes will be
doing all the work while the inexperienced dudes will just slow them down.
Third, a common coding style. I know inexperienced programmers say what
is the difference, but there is a big difference. The way someone
programs is usually associated with how they think out problems and
problem solve. Two programmers won't necessarily think the same,format
the same, or generate the same kind of code. Some common coding
conventions must be agreed upon.
For example, let us say an experienced dude likes to use short variable
names like cd, px, py, etc. A les experienced programmer might want to
use full variable names like currentDistance, playerX, playerY, etc to
make his code more readable. This has to be discussed before any coding
is started to insure everything will be the same for everyone. In this
instance both parties would probably adopt full variable names as it
would be easily readable to everyone and not just the dude who wrote it.
Finally, there is the matter of time sharing and payment. If I worked 12
hours per week and my partners only did 4 each should I get tripple
their pay for the game? You need to think about how the income is
redistributed. In my opinion the guy who put the most hours in gets the
most pay.