Hi Will,
First, I have actually tried Che's way of doing pre-ordered Beta's with
Montezuma's Return and it ended in disaster. Granted that was mainly in
part do to events out of my control, but now all those people who
trusted me, purchased in good faith, got burned because I have to
replace their product with something else.
Second, I will not charge for the new side-scroller. Again it was not
their fault, and if anyone is to blame at all for this it is big
companies and their copyrights. We can't challenge them on an equal
footing, and I've learned not to try and sell anything with a
copyrighted name attached.
Honestly though this might have all been for the best in the long run.
The new game I am working on may actually have more replay value for you
and everyone else. The older Montezuma's Revenge game was showing its
age, and isn't able to satisfy customers that have been exposed to the
way things are done now.
However, to be perfectly honest my rendition of the Montezuma's Revenge
style game wasn't totally true to the original either. Some things were
much harder in the original. There were no potions to get health points
back. If you touched a monster in any way shape or form you were dead as
a door nail. Perhaps if I had stuck to an exact clone you would not have
been as disappointed with the game. I see how I have done that game a
disservice just by not doing an exact clone of it.
On the other hand I can hear it now. This game is too hard, I get
touched by a monster, and I die. Can you make it easier?