Hi Charles,
Well, as a developer I can think of a few reasons someone may choose to
create a game but solectively release it to some people, or not to
anyone at all.
1. If a game uses copyrighted stories, characters, and sounds the game
would be best kept as quiet as possible.
For example, it is well known I have a partly constructed Star Wars game
based on the Genesis 3D technology I am creating. For me the problem is
releasing it to the public at large is very difficult. Lucas Licensing
has specifically, personally, expressed their opinion I am to release no
games using the Star Wars universe do to their copyright license
polacies. Personally, I think they are just being anal about it, but I
am by law bound by their wishes not to produce Star Wars games for the
blind without paying their licensing fees.
If I write the game and keep it for myself Lucas has no rights to sue. I
can do whatever I want with the sounds, characters, and music provided I
don't redistribute it. Either that or I redistribute it to friends who
keep it hush hush.
2. Many developers just want to create a product their own way. I know
when creating STFC I basically was thinking of a modern remake of Trek
2000. As time went on many testers put their two cents in and the game
eventually became a completely different game than the one invisioned. I
know some developers have personally objected to any modifications to
their game story, sounds, etc.
3. Perhaps they are frightened by reprisal and needless flaming. When I
was flamed a few days ago I was extremely upset by it. However, I have
recovered, and went on. Not everyone can do that.