HI Tom,
You are quite right. Personally, I don't believe a game created in a
side-scroller format necessarily needs to imitate games for the Atari
2600 platform. After all those games lacked modern day features such as
3D graphics, realistic sounds, large player inventories, save game
features, etc because they were very limited in what they could do. The
programmers were designing games for a console with limited processor
speed, limited random access memory, and absolutely no place to save
games to.
Pick any of your  favorite games for the Atari 2600 or NES platforms,
and I bet you a dozen doughnets I could improve upon the games initial
design just because a PC has much more processor power, memory, and
storage space. Not to say the least about better 3D graphics technology
and 3D audio support.