Yeah, I hear you. Some people do that, but really, it doesn't bother me. It's their time to use or abuse as they wish. What would miff me is if there was money on the table, and they cheated you out of it, let's say for a contest or tournament. Other then that, I just let monkeys lie, grin. ----- Original Message ----- From: "dark" <d...@xgam.org>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 11:09 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] why do cheat codes exist?

Lol! al, ---- but don't call him a monkey or you'll be liable to have your bishops thrust up your nose!

Seriously I agree, however the one use of cheat codes I'm not keen on is when people play a game for a few hours, decide they don't like it, cheat it, ---- then never play it again because they've seen it.

I saw that atitude on several occasions back in the old Amigar days when cracked disks with in put cheat menues on games were a common thing.

Personally, I did mostly always play with cheats back then, ---- even infinite lives or energy (I was only eight), but in my defense, I did always replay games a lot just for the exploration factor and the fun.

Beware the grue!

Dark.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Allan Thompson" <allan1.thomp...@cox.net> To: "Charles Rivard" <woofer...@sbcglobal.net>; "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2009 3:35 AM

Hi,
Cheat codes are fun, pure and simple. However, they are a diffrent kind of fun. I would compare the "purist" method of play versus the "cheat" type of play like this. In the first, you are playing a game of chess against an intelligent equal, in the second, you are playing chess against a monkey. The first game is serious, challenges your skills, causes you to learn an improve. When you win, if you win, you feel satisfied in the victory. Then there is the monkey game. You turn your pawn into a tank, and destroy the monkeys rooks with a photon torpedo. The monkey don't care, and neither do you. No seriousness, no brain drain, no putting way too much effort and time into what amounts to a bit of electricity pushing around little bits of electronic nothingness. You flameThrower the monkeys queen, he don't care, he's a monkey, and you don't care, cause you got this awesome flameThrower and you are blowing those monkeys pieces to kingdom come!!
It is all fun, just diffrent.
So I like cheat codes. I don't look down on anyone who does use cheat codes because if they are willing to download it, or buy it, they are more then entitled to play the heck out of that game anyway they please without me judging them. They aren't worse players or people for it, they aren't better, just diffrent. That is the crux. Cheat codes are not an insight into a persons moral quality or life attitude. It is just a game, they are just getting some enjoyment until they have to go back to life, and the world keeps spinning. Besides...I like monkeys. People get all upset when you use a flameThrower on their chess pieces, grin.
al