Hi Dark,
On line product registration/activation is really the compromise between the two extremes. The developer can have a mysql database that keeps track of the number of times the software has been registered in a given amount of time, and tell the program weather to go ahead and register the product or not. If you have a "unregister" option in the game you can unregister it which would add one more installation to the server's mysql database. That way if someone is willing to hand out his or her keys they might think twice if that means giving it to a buddy means using up one of their existing installations. This doesn't stop piracy, of course, but it does restrict the number of copies that can be activated at any given time using that key. How I would do it if I were considering an internet based product activation system is when the person purchases the game he or she would recieve two keys with his/her product purchase. They could install the game on two systems such as a desktop/laptop, or they might use one, and keep the other as a backup. If they buy a new computer they can unregister the software on their old computer and reregister it on the new system. If they happen to need more than two keys they can buy additional keys for some nominal fee like $5.00 each. That way if they do start handing them out to friends the developer still makes something off the pirated copies while being fair to his/her customers.

dark wrote:
It doesn't come up with Hal either that I've noticed, and my computers have been through account crashes, registry issues and all sorts of fun without messing up Hal. Pluss, dolphin give you a free extra registration every six months just in case you do have a problem.

I'll say that's another advantage of online registration as opposed from having it on a Cd, ---- when it does need doing, it can be done in seconds.