Hi Willem,
That isn't really how hardware product activation works. The developers of such software know the end user will be plugging in digital cameras, USB sticks, scanners, change printers, and accordingly make allowances for such changes in hardware configuration. As a result they do hardware checks against something they assume a person wouldn't change on his/her own like a processor. Now, I'm the acception to the rule. Even though I am blind I went to tech school, have a fair amount of knowledge in the hardware and software side of computers, so I am the type who would swap out a motherboard, processor, and memory if and when I feel like it because I want a bigger, faster, more powerful machine. That's where hardware activation goes crazy, because it simply was not designed for the hobbiest computer user who can swap out his own mother board and processor at will. They were designed for the store brand computers like the HP, Del, and Compaqs you can pick up at Best Buy or Wal-Mart. Something put together by a manufacturer and assumed to remain with the same general hardware specifications throughout the life time of that computer.

Willem wrote:
That's hardware activation for you. Plug in a USB stick and you stand a chance of deactivating, for example, rail racer, because it thinks it's a new system.