From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 29, 2009 12:00 PM
Subject: [Audyssey] Screen Readers and Games

Hi Bryan,

That's not so surprising really. When I first went blind the first thing
they showed me was Jaws. As a result that is what I ended up with for
school, college, and being new to blindness and screen readers in
general I really didn't know anything different. I just assumed Jaws was
the only show in town.

It was only after I got to college not only did I discover there were
several other screen readers out there, I found Jaws really wasn't so
hot. Yeah, it was a decent screen reader, but Window eyes has always
been a fairly decent product itself. The more current versions are a
superior product in my opinion. However, this brings me to my point.

If I assume most blind computer users in the United States were handled
the same way I was they were given Jaws through some state or school
agency, and it was assumed it was the best product for the person it was
given to. As a result the blind computer user has no experience in using
Hal, Window Eyes, or anything else. They may not even been shown their
options to pick or choose the product they wanted. It was just assumed
Jaws was what they would use for work, school, college, whatever.

So as it happens most of our game developers are Jaws users. When they
say turn off your screen reader in the manual I half to assume they know
Jaws conflicts with games, and they have no personal experience with
anything other than Jaws.  Else you might get directions for how to set
the game up with Jaws, Window Eyes, Hal, System Access, etc.

As has been pointed out here Hal and Window Eyes don't really have
serious conflicts with existing accessible games. Jaws, on the other
hand, does. Therefore it might help if we educate the game developers
out there on how various screen readers works with their games so that
the manuals can be updated to reflect this more specifically.

<Smile>