funny Tom, I've never felt the need to with hal, and haven't experienced slowdown or anything similar.

Indeed, there have been occasions when I've played a bit of a game, flicked out of it, turned Hal's voice on to read E-mails or deal with other matters, then gone back to the game.

This is especially true of games where I have to wait for some reason, ---- like Che martin's card games waiting for new players, ---- or even waiting for your character to regain health in technoshock (which seems to take ages).

I also flick Hal's voice off when watching dvds for the same reason.

I'd actually miss this feature quite a lot if it wasn't possible to use.

Beware the grue!