From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: Sunday, November 29, 2009 6:27 PM
To: Charles Rivard; Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Screen Readers and Games

Hi Charles,

Exactly my point. Jaws is extremely customizable, but the options are buried in the configuration manager and you have to know what to look for and where to find it in the configuration manager.

As a part time user of Jaws I'm not, shall we say a daily Jaws user, so it takes me a long time to find settings and configurations I want in Jaws. Part of the problem is the complexity of the configuration manager itself, and things aren't where I personally would expect to find them. It just isn't a user friendly user interface although I can certainly use it if I absolutely need to.

On the other hand when I converted over to Window Eyes I had no problem finding things in Window Eyes. As I said before all of the menus are pretty self-explanatory and if you set the difficulty level to advanced there is a lot of options there that are easy to find, are usually self-explanatory, and I just found it easier from the get go. However, I think we are drifting off the topic of how screen readers relate to games so I'll drift back on topic here.

Thing is Jaws has a lot of features I simply don't like turned on. Such as the fact ever since Jaws 10 whenever you are on a web page, such as an on line game, you pass over a edit box and Jaws goes boop, boop, boop, as it turns off MSAA so you can type data into the field. Then, I manually have to turn MSAA back on by moving off the edit box, and continue on my way. I can't say how frustrating and annoying that feature is, and it clearly didn't have on line games in mind as it slows you down quite a lot. So I've had to go into the configuration manager, dig around a while, until I found that little feature and turn it off.

Charles Rivard wrote:
I agree that, while the configuration manager is too complex, it is very customizable.

As for hanging you out to dry, I will not buy MOTA. Why not?? I already did. Ha ha. Dang, it's going to be a great game! The waiting is tougher

than good beef jerky!
---
In God we trust!