Hi Dark,
Yeah. I understand that. If you make it internet based it obviously will be accessible to everyone and everything regardless of platform. Same goes for a stand alone game book written in html. The Premis here is all you need is an accessible web browser like Firefox for Windows and Linux users or Safari for Mac users. It is a good idea, but my own experience creating this sort of thing is limited in scope.

dark wrote:
Well, I'll probably look around, check peters link to the website, and considder things reasonably carefully.

Cross platform compatibility isn't something i'm hugely concerned with at this stage, sinse if my eventual goal is an online rpg, it'll be hopefully workable just with a brouser, ---- and I assume a downloadable html bundle would work the same way.

~This is basically just me trying to flesh out some of my wilder ideas about an online rpg, and vaguely decide how they may or may not work in future.

Much like the Sryth gm has said, i'd prefer to go into programming on the understanding of using it to expand my writing and make it interactive, rather than to create a full game with sound etc.

learning a little of what I may be up against now will let me know for certain when the time comes and my phd is finished if this is something I will be able to learn, and devote time to doing, ---- and if (as one of my friends insists), it proves vaguely fun i might see what I could get done at weekends etc in the mean time.

any further web resources on these sorts of subjects, ---- or a file of perl code with comments might be fun to look at indeed!

Beware the grue!