Hi Bryan,
Definitely. A full blown RPG like Xeno Gears or Final Fantasy would take
years to complete. Mysteries of the Ancients is a much simpler game in
design and it took me two years to get the basic engine written and
stable enough for play. True, I had some recent setbacks such as the
bugs with Managed DirectX forcing me to basically adopt a new
engine/design, but the basic point is with only one or two man
operations a game of any serious complexity takes lots of time and
patients.
I've been thinking of doing some sort of RPG game, but the time involved
with such a project is staggering. Even a straight text based game like
Sryth is rather complex and time consuming. Something more like Final
Fantasy is unthinkable for a single person to do unless he/she plans to
put five years or more into that project. Then, when it comes out what
should the developer charge for that work. Certainly not $20 for a game
like that. Try at leas $50 or $60 considering the time and effort
involved. Then, of course people will scream and complain about the
price.