When you enter the fleet window, you are positioned on the fighters column. Remember, there are two rows, the upper is the fleet, the bottom is the source of ships, i.e. a planet or another fleet. Hitting up-arrow transfers all available ships or resources to the fleet, down transfers all to the source. Use the right arrow to go across the columns. If you hit enter, you can type in a specific number, such as 500 and hit enter again to set the number. The columns are in the following order, which you pretty much have to just memorize:
fighters
hunter-killers
jump ships
jump transports
penetrators
star ships
transports
men
ninjas
ambrosia
chemicals
metals
supplies
trilium

In the Windows version, you can't scroll to the right column by going left from the left, so you'll have to go all the way across with arrow keys.

I haven't played in quite a while, so I hope I've remembered things correctly.

    Chris Bartlett