Hi Guys,
Okay, the fleet deployment mechanism is one of those areas of the game
where access isn't as good as it could be.  In this case, it's a cludgy
interface which could do with improvement in the game itself, but for
now we're stuck with it.
Here are the steps to get a fleet deployed:
1. Go to fleet->deploy, and set up the contents however you like.
2. Immediately after hitting enter or clicking okay on the setup screen,
go to fleet->set destination.  It should be enabled.  Select it.
3. This is the tricky part: move the cursor to the world you want to
send it to and hit enter.  The trick is that you won't have any way of
being absolutely sure the cursor is on the world, as the fleet status
screen obscures the map coordinates.  The best thing to do is just to
remember the best sequence of arrow key presses to get you from the
start to the destination.  Hit enter.  Read the status to be sure it's
right: unfortunately, world names aren't listed, so you'll just need to
rely on coordinates.
There is probably a shortcut or two that you can use once you're
familiar with the interface.  I'm thinking in particular of the item on
the view menu which displays a list of worlds, but for now this'll get
you started.
One reason I prefer the Dos version is that it'll actually prompt you
for the destination coordinates instead of forcing you to use the map.
It also accepts names as destinations.
Hope this helps,
Zack.