Well I started with a keynote and only could play dos stuff then, beyond the titanic, hitch hikers all the infocom stuff got on to the original yahoo audyssey list in 2000 through Paul nimoo who was here and put my windows 98 computer together met and love sod and all the other audio stuff.
Lisa Hayes

www.nutrimetics.com.au/lisahayes

To: <Gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 5:42 AM
Subject: [Audyssey] How did you start?

Hi.

all this talk about if Is getting me a litle nostalgic, so i thought a topic about how people got into audio games and such might be fun.

For me, I'd always played what graffical games my eyesite could cope with, first on an atari 2600 (at age 3 and 4), then an amstrad cpc computer (similar to a comador 64), a comador amigar and finally a Snes (which i stil own).

But in the mid 90's with the 32 bit 3D era, the number of games I could play dropped from about thirty percent, to almost none.

Though I used a laptop for school work, and university, it never occurred to me I could do anything with it bar write. Yes, I had the D&D manuals and used it to do some tabletop gaming in about 99-2000 before I went to uni, but I never actually thought of games.

It wasn't until 2003, that I saw an artical in a braille publication mentioning tom lorimers' whitestick.co.uk site and accessible computer games.

Despite a lot of net access shinanigans (hal version 5 and internet access was fairly new at that stage), I found toms' site, and played a number of online games like ashes of angels and legend of the green dragon.

I do remember checking the offline games page, but A, the idea of a game with sound I found rather bizarre, and B, I was stil using a five year old laptop with windows 98. I did however play a lot of if.

Things went on. I started on Sryth in late 2004, bought an xp desktop in mid 2005, then ran into Bryan peterson. When finding we both had defficient eyeballs and an interest in exploration games he directed me towards shades of doom (I stil remember sitting up all night playing it), and by degrees audiogames.net.

Sinse this corresponded with me finishing my masters and for various confusing academic reasons having a lot of free time, i signed up to the audiogames.net forum in 2006, and spent the next few months trying almost the entire audiogames.net database, signing up to the audeasy list somewhere along the line.

And the rest is history.

Beware the Grue!