Hi Dark,
Well, I don't really see anything wrong with it either.  After all if
a company has abandoned the game, left it to fade out of existance, by
rights they should just give it to the public to do whatever with.
However, as you say the one big problem is copyrights. They don't want
to do that as publishing anything as GPL etc basicly relinquishes
copyright control of a certain software product which is contrary to
the corperate mindset.