Hi Hayden,
I'm actually glad you braught that up because that is a very good
point. One I don't think many VI computer users think about since they
only think about how they themselves use their computer rather than
the mainstream public.
As I have said many times on this list I generally work as a tech
support person in my local area doing Windows upgrades, performing
system restores, fixing a computer that has had a virus attack,
setting up local networks for churches, whatever needs doing. The one
thing I can tell you is most of the people out there running Windows
XP do not use the classic desktop and classic start menu setup.
Therefore that particular feature is not exactly in high demand by
Microsoft's customers. The only people I hear complaining about not
having that feature is VI computer users on this and other adaptive
lists where so many VI computer users are unwilling to let go of the
classic mode and use the default setup that comes with Windows 7 now.
I don't see any reason for VI users to complain about it, because it
is a fact of life and might as well accept it. As my mother-in-law
always says, "it is time to roll with the change."
To be quite honest that is one of the reasons I really dislike working
with some VI users. They have this attitude that upgrading to a new
piece of software that uses a new menu system, uses ribbons instead of
menus, whatever is the end of the world or something. Let's face it is
not the end of the world. You can adapt, relearn to use it, if you are
willing to change. Some people apparently aren't which is the problem.
For those people who don't want to accept change then don't. You can
run your old software, old computer, etc until it dies. It doesn't
effect the rest of us who have decided to move on with life. However,
if you choose to stick with the old don't complain about the rest of
us who have decided to adopt new software and new ways of doing
things, and don't complain if your old software or old computer isn't
supported any more. You made that choice so live with it.
Let's face it if you absolutely hate Windows 7 that bad there are
alternatives. You can buy a Macbook with Mac OS X on it. You can buy a
new Del Notebook computer already loaded with Ubuntu Linux 10 on it.
You don't have to ever use Windows at all any more if you don't want
too because both Mac and Linux have screen readers available as well.
Maybe not Jaws quality, but they do exist and are functionally decent
enough to use.
Anyway, to get back to the subject of this e-mail things in the
sighted world will always market to the sighted computer user first.
That's a fact of life. As you said Microsoft wouldn't remove a feature
if it was something truly important to a sighted majority. The classic
start menu etc obviously is not as the new Windows 7 interface is
easier to use if you are using it with a mouse and can see it.
Therefore the classic start menu etc would be seen as a major
downgrade of the user interface in the eyes of many sighted computer
users. Why would they want to go back to an older and visually less
user friendly interface?