Hi,
I don't know about that. I'm sure there are privately developed
side-scrollers at places like the retro remakes websites, but in the
whole the mainstream game industry has seamed to focus on games that
require 3d rendering of sound effects.
You have to remember back when side-scrollers were really popular were
in the late 80's and early 90's with games like Castlevania, Megaman,
Double Dragon, Prince of Persia, and that sort of thing. For the
mainstream game industry it is kind of like been there and done that.
We haven't been around that long and are just beginning to explore the
side-scroller format a good 20 years after the mainstream industry did
all their major titles.