Hi Thomas,

If I am not mistaken, MinGw will accept import libraries from Visual Studio so long as the interface is C style and not C++. The naming conventions only differ for C++ between the two compilers, not C. This means that Streemway should be fine since it exposes a pure C API. But this is getting quite a bit off topic so I will stop here.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall
To: <phi...@blastbay.com>; "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 6:11 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] MOTA Beta 14 Released!

Hi Philip,
Exactly my point. If I were only a part time Linux user or an
ocational Linux user I wouldn't bother taking the time and energy
upgrading the engine to be cross-platform. Obviously I could have
saved myself time, effort, and a bunchof added bugs just by sticking
with Windows. However, since I use Linux 90% of the time for e-mail,
watching movies, listening to music, and all the other things I do I
feel it is worth the price to be able to have games on that platform
as well.
As for what you can do I don't know of anything at this point, but if
something comes up I'll let you know. About the only thing I can think
of is if worse comes to worse I might ask for a copy of Streemway that
works with MinGW so I don't have to depend on using Visual Studio Pro
to cross-compile my software. However, we can cross that road when we
come to it.

Hi Thomas,

Well, let us hope that SFML/OpenAl can provide such a feature and then see.
I will be happy to assist in any way I can, should you need it.

As for justification, if you are gradualy going over to Linux yourself then I'd say that that's certainly justification enough to spend the extra months
porting and testing your engine for that platform. One of the main reasons
why I am not going cross platform at this time is because I am a Windows
user 100 % and so doing a stable port would require much more time and money
than I am willing to spend, especially since audio games aren't very
profitable in themselves due to the size of the blind gaming community.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall