Weren't those the ice blocks or whatever in Iceman's stage? I seem to recall they would either vanish or simply retract and they could actually hurt you if you were in the wrong spot when they returned.
We are the Knights who saaaaay...Ni!
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2010 3:19 PM
Subject: [Audyssey] Vanishing Platforms was Q9 upcoming patch

Hi Karl,
well, the primary reason I didn't include the vanishing platforms in
MOTA is because I didn't feel they would fit into the game's
background story. Plus I invisioned MOTA has an accessible version of
Tomb Raider without the trademarks and copyrights attached. However,
it shares the same basic concept behind Tomb Raider.
That said, I haven't given up he idea of using vanishing platforms in
my games. I've been thinking for quite some time of doing a retro
remake of Megaman with its own storyline and main character. The
Megaman style platformer is perfect for things like vanishing
platforms because there were traps like that in the Megaman games. The
one I remember most from my NES playing days is the floating blocks
that would vanish and reappear. It took me several runs through
Megaman I to figure out that particular puzzle.
It is too bad, but very few accessible games actually includes traps
and puzzles quite that complex. Still I too would like to see more of
these mainstream concepts get braught over to an accessible format.

Smile.