I have a rather stupid question?
why don't they use something similar to what we all hear in real life? that is,
the closer you get to a wall, the stronger the echo of the surrounding
soundscape will get (along with a corresponding change in pitch of the white
noise in said environment). this near wall warning seems like its a little too
arbitrary (one step away and it sounds? you can hear a wall in real life a lot
further away than 1 step).

I know, it sounds stupid, but thats how I hear the world. btw, I don't play a
lot of FPS games as I am on a mac. I used to play WoW before 5 months ago
before the last of my eyesight went away. so I am not unfamiliar with computer
FPS and MMO games.

-Eric