Hi,

Actually, what we are talking about here is collision detection is in
finding out if two objects or entities are touching in a virtual game
world. This has nothing to do with audio, but mearly figuring out the
best way to go about collision detection internally.

However, your question isn't a dumb one. Basically, the answer is to
do what you are suggesting requires using DSP effects and calculating
how much echo etc needs to be applied to the footstep sounds given the
player's relationship to walls, doors, etc. I think games like Shades
of Doom do it one step away more for as an audio queue that a wall is
coming up more than for realism here.

Cheers!