Happy holidays to you and yours, and have a wonderful day!… Woohoo!

Smiles,

Cara :)
On Dec 9, 2010, at 10:31 AM, Ben wrote:

Hi cara
Ever thought of updating jediquake?
-----Original Message-----
From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Cara Quinn
Sent: 09 December 2010 18:24
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] game objects in memory

Oh, and there was a 3, and I bet:

3. that your storm troopers don't actually move on diagonals! lol! this
would explain why they don't happily skip right through the map. :)

Talk soon!.

Smiles,

Cara :)
On Dec 9, 2010, at 10:08 AM, Cara Quinn wrote:

HI Thomas since you said that Mara passes through walls sometimes when
you're at just the right angle, I'm betting that:

1. your walls are very close to the same thickness to Mara's move rate. (the
distance she usually moves in a frame)

2. that it's easier or more likely that she will walk through a wall the
closer you get to walking at a 45 degree angle in regard to your X and Y
axes.

If the above is true, then I think I know the solution, as in my last note
about normalizing and magnifying.

If you want to post your code, I'd sure be up for taking a look at it, and I
can post mine here as well, if you'd like. -Perhaps peeps might like to see
this in practice so to speak?.

-Just as a quick explanation in 2D, if you have a vector that's 5 units long
and goes straight along the X axis as in 5.0, 0.0 and you try to create a
vector five units long on a forty five degree angle simply by defining it as
5.0, 5.0 you're actually making a vector which is longer than five units.

I.E. since you're essentially mapping curves with a square coordinate
system, you're actually covering more distance on a diagonal then on one of
the axes. If you could turn your 5.0, 5.0 vector so it traveled straight
along your X axis, you'd find that it actually went well beyond 5.0, 0.0.

If you think of squares on a piece of graph paper; if you draw a line along
the edge of a square, and then draw a line from one corner of the square to
the other, and then measure the line, you'd see that the corner to corner
line is longer than the other one.

This is what's happening inside the computer. We're just working with graph
paper on a very large scale! :) so there are a couple of processes we can do
to properly measure the vector so that it's always the same length
regardless of which direction it's traveling in. Does this make sense?

There's no need to calculate in advance of where any entity will be at any
given time. This is the work of the detection routine to let you know what
gets touched where, rather than you needing to try to guess it ahead of
time. Use small game units, and real rates of travel, realistically sized
entities and features, and the detection routines should work fine.

Smiles,

Cara :)