Hi Philip,

Well, I for one, whole heartedly agree with your assessement. In fact,
I've been writing an article I'm going to eventually post on my
developer's site that pretty much says the same thing in more depth.

Bottom line, no matter what you do there are security risks, and a
determined cracker will break your security eventually. So the key
here is to create a system that will keep your honest customers
honest, and as for the dishonest ones don't worry about them. A
dishonest customer will do whatever is necessary to pirate your
software anyway. It is just one of the many costs of doing business.

As both a computer user and software developer I am most comfortable
with a name and key system myself. Yes, it is less secure, but the
advantages out way the disadvantages. Everytime I buy a new computer,
or replace hardware in my PC I don't have to obtain new authorizations
for all of my software, nor do I have to be online while I register it
all. As a developer the name and key system works easier because all I
have to do is put their name into a key generator and it prints out a
key. I can then mail that key to the customer and they can use it on
one or a hundred machines that they own without that key failing. That
means since they have the freedom of choice how to use their key, with
in legal means of course, that I don't have to constantly generate new
keys because someone purchased a new PC, changed some hardware that
caused the registration program to change the hardware ID, or have to
write licensing scripts for my website which aren't really as secure
as they could be. While online licensing is preferable to a hardware
ID system I've never really liked it much as a personal user. It is,
well, an inconvenience to have to get online just to license your
software. One or two programs is alright, but if everything worked
that way it would really suck.

Smile.