tom, part of me would like the complex maps.
However not exactly like mota.
in level1, there are a couple chasm traps, and a lava trap.
Or is that a fire trap.
Ok, simple, but good for starters.
You could add that the chasms had lava or spikes in them or both.
Burning ropes?
Well if we put them in then we would have to have ropes in areas you didn't need to ever go up again. ie in level2, where you need to jump down a rope to get some items you could have a burning rope, since you don't need to go back. I am not sure about vanishing platforms but with bridges and such like the one in level2 you could have it that once over it the bridge would have to go back up and well.
I usually run across it so you could time it for a bit I guess.
You could also set the statues to automatically lock again aafter you unlock them and open em but then you couldn't have monsters in the enterence point of a room they would have to be in the end or something so the player would have time to run through. At this stage though I think you should just finnish the game, ofcause if like the origional monti, you had platforms and portals that would rock. You could have other ways to do things in say level2 chasm, you can pull the bridge or wait for a platform, each platform is obviously say 2 jumps wide, this one would be say 3-4 jumps.
In the middle of that platform could be a portal.
if you jumped to the right place then the platform vannished you would fall into the chasm but enter the portal, you then could have a bonus level where you picked up items. at the end of that level could be lava which you would jump into, and then enter another portal. you could then be at the end of the chasm on the other side say 3 steps from the edge or a couple meters.
Ofcause this portal would have to be semi random or the items could be.
You could choose to jump things or just do a couple jumps portal then get things with the potentual to get something.
However I'd fall short of being to haisty on modifications.
You really need like 20 levels for what I am thinking about.
1/2 keep the same every level after 2 add a new trap or whatever.
till say 12, add more monsters and things maybe places to jump.
Another idea is to get unlockable traps.
You can find a trap, say the spikes in level2.
If you jumped one sets then jumped the second but immediately say within a 5 second period steped back onto the spike you could get it or get something falling which you could get.
It would probably work better for the blade.
you could jump the blade or whatever.
if you walked over the blade while hitting enter, well if you didn't have the sword you could get that if you already have that you could get more power added to this you could make some bosses more powerfull. Ofcause you couldn't just hit walk and enter, say a combo like alt control right shift and enter once over the blade you would have 5 secs to do that else you died or something. However you may just like to do stuff as it is and make say an expantion pack for mota, I think a lot of people aspecially for those that have been waiting for the origional game for a while.
Right now as it is I think its ok.