It's actually a C, not a G.
We are the Knights who saaaaay...Ni!
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jacob Kruger" <jac...@mailzone.co.za>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2011 4:07 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Mysteries of the Ancients Levels

Is turrigan T2002 accessible as such?

http://www.pekaro.de/content/t2002/t2002.html

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2011 11:43 PM

Hi Tom.

This actually ties into something I was thinking about the other day.

I realized, that despite having games as complex as smugglers, shades of doom, entombed, time of conflict and lone wolf installed on my pc, what is the game I play most often? What is the game I frequently just think "hay, I've got half an hour, ---- lets play something" and stick on?

Easy, ------ The freeware, graphical remake of Turrican, T2002 (with it's various level packs that people have created of course).

this is not, by any stretch of the imagination a particularly complex game.

There is no in game story let alone cut scenes. you have three main weapons, ---- which you can't even choose betwene you just pick up at random, a multiple shot that covers a wide area, a laser that covers a small area but is very powerful, and a bounce weapon that rebounds off walls.

You have a close range, 360 degree energy whip, and a limited number of grenades that blow up everything on the screen.

That is it! 3 primary weapons, one secondary weapon, and a limited use special power, ---- Mota already has more to offer.

Neither is the game complex. Run along, shoot huge swarms of baddies, and try to find the exit of each level.

There are no doors, ---- not even destroyable ones as in the metroid games, let alone keys, nor are there torches, ---- not even medkits to carry.

Yet, why is it I play turrican probably more than any other game. Partly it's the very amazing soundtrack, ---- but we'll leave that aside for now, mostly it's the exploration!

the levels are, ---- quite honestly, ridiculously huge! each is 30 or so screens square, and unlike in prince of persia where each screen held only 3 of your characters' high vertically, Turrican you can jump roughly as high as Mario can, so each screen can hold five times your high vertically, also obviiously the screen scrolls, and scrolls in any direction.

More than that though, each level is a massive maze. There is no guarantee that you start on the left and the exit was on the right side as in most side scrollers, indeed sometimes it was on the left and in in some levels you jumped up into the exit or fell down into it.

then, exploration is actually rewarded, sinse the more you explore, the more likely you are to find hidden extra lives or power ups, which are often very well hidden indeed.

The pc remake also instituted a feature which is common to modern games but was litle known in the early 90's when Turrican was originally made, ---- that of saving! Sinse the game now saves each time you get to a new level, level designers have been able to create Turrican levels that even make the original game look small!

I'm not sure on the exact size, but where as exploring the original levels of the Amigar games would take me around 20 minutes to half an hour per stage, some of the newly made levels have taken me literally hours! to play through.

Add to this another fact about turrican which I've yet to see emulated in an audio game, instead of a single jump distance, you jump relative to how long you hold down the jump button. This means you can have ledges and complex terane to jump through, which requires you to calculate distances, ---- indeed often such a simple task as jumping from one ledge to another can be made a good deal more complex by this, especially sinse obviously your targit ledgte can be above or below you.

Trap wise, the game included comparatively few, but with the physics of the jumps taken into account they could make things rather difficult. False walls, or walls and ledges you could blast through with your weapon, moving platforms (horrizontal or vertical), turning cog wheels that will chuck you off when you stand on them, and conveyer belts that push you along (often into hazards like crushers or flames which will damage you).

But why am I mentioning all this (especially about a game which most people on this list will not be able to play), because it's this! that I would love to see in an audio side scroller.

Freedom of movement, exploration, a system of jumping physics which actually requires you to get used to and practice with, and traps which similarly need some work from the player to avoid.

There's a tendency I've noticed in audio side scrollers to essentially make everything feel quite automatic. You get close to enemy, enemy attacks unless you hit first, on harder difficulty enemy damages you more. you get to edge of ledge, hit single jump button.

Compare this to the fluidity and sense of freedom in a game like Turrican, Metroid, ---- or even something like original mega man, and the difference is astronomical.

I'm absolutely certain it's possible to have this sort of experience in audio, ---- but nobody has done it in 2D yet, though I will admit that Shades of doom and sarah have indeed managed it in 3D (one reason why I became interested in audio games in the first place, sinse Shades seemed to have so many of the charactoristics that I enjoy in computer games generally.

Beware the Grue!