Hi Jim,

It is not extra work or waisted time/energy. It is generally
recommended that you declare variables using the proper data type like
integer, string, character, boolean, etc as it will improve memory
usage and CPU usage. Every time you declare a variable without
specifying its data type you force the runtime environment to
interpret your code, and as a result you end up waisting your system
resources on runtime interpretation of your code. So it really does
not pay to be a lazy programmer. Which is exactly what you are when
you don't declare and properly initialize variables.