To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 12:59 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] my ramblings about programming: why I use vb

Thomas, I think you look at this situation differently because you start your projects with a different goal than some of the rest of us. I doubt you will ever view this particular aspect the same as me, but maybe I can give an example so you can better understand where I'm coming from.

If I get up one morning and decide, hey, I want to put together a little tune with a banjo. If that is what I happen to feel like doing, the thought would never cross my mind to change it even though the banjo is a relatively unpopular instrument. If I continue as planned many people won't like my music as much as if I'd changed it to a guitar or something.

If I get up one morning and I decide to make a racing game, I would never abandon it to make a strategy game even if the community clearly wanted to see a strategy game more than a racing game. This is just an example of course, I have no idea how the community feels about these game types. The point is that I feel like making a certain type of game so I am not all that interested in what other people will think.

Of course I will be happy if other people enjoy my banjo music and my racing game, but that wasn't my primary reason for doing the projects. True, sometimes I will have a few things I would like to work on and I will use the community's opinion to help me decide, but I am not getting paid to do these things so my own personal satisfaction is my payment while I work.

I completely see where you are coming from though, in your mind it makes total sense to just change a language so that more people can play the game. While you don't see it the same way, to some of us that is the same as suggesting to switch to guitar from banjo or go with a strategy game rather than a racing one so that more people will enjoy it.

I am not suggesting that you change over and work on projects the way I do, but I also don't think anyone should suggest I change to work on projects the way you do. Both are valid approaches to personal projects. I don't know if you are sighted or not, but the exact same division exists in the visual art world. On one hand you have people who view abstract art as something "their kid could have done with crayons" and on the other you have people saying that isn't the point. I think it is completely natural that the 2 different styles of thinking would also apply here in the programming world.