Hi Philip,

Philip wrote:

In my upcoming game, for instance, there is a patch of quicksand that you cannot
jump across. You can attempt to run over it, but there is a very high
risk that you
will get stuck and die. Right next to it is a swinging vine that you
have to catch
but that alone doesn't cary you over the quicksand either, even if you
jump to the
right when the vine is swinging as far to the right as it can go.
Instead you need
to climb up the vine, above which is a branch that you can climb on
and then catch
another vine which is just to the right of the quicksand to climb down
again. That,
to me, is a perfectly logical puzzle and my game will be full of those.

My reply:

Well, that sounds pretty fair to me. It is certainly better than the
usual traps like simply jumping over a trap. This requires a little
logic to solve which I'm certainly eager to see. So I'm certainly
eager to try your new game once it is ready to test/play.

Philip wrote:

Again, personal preference must be the final judge as you say. And I
think that it
is a good thing that we have vastly different approaches, as we will
end up making
two vastly different sidescrollers.

My reply:

Agreed. If nothing else I think we both have learned that different
opinions about things like this is good for everyone. That means even
though we both might be producing side-scrollers the way we approach
different things like traps means we will produce two completely
unique products. That's exactly what the VI gaming community needs.
For far too long it seamed like every other game release was another
Space Invaders clone/knock-off and I really got burned out on playing
them. So I am glad that we are at least beginning to open up the
side-scroller/platformer  style of games for the VI community which up
until now has been pretty much limited to Super Liam, Tarzan Junior,
Hunter, etc.  Now, though, as we have discussed we really can explore
it to its fullest, and see where it leads.