Hi Ken,

There is an alternative to DirectX. There is FMOD Ex which you could
include   in free games for no cost to the developer. It only has t be
licensed if it is apart of a commercial title or integrated into a
commercial game engine etc. It is a Windows com component so you can
use it with VB 6, C# .net, VB .Net, Java, or just about anything else
that can use Windows com components. It has very decent 3d
positioning, DSP effects, and relaly is unmatched when it comes to
audio APIS. I'm using it right now, the Linux version, to upgrade my
G3D Engine for Linux.