Hi Ken,

Oh, it depends on a number of factors. How much you plan to charge for
the game, how many platforms you intend to support, the size of your
intended target market etc.  For example, to sell a shareware game
from $10 to $20 for a single platform is $150. That's not too bad for
a developer who only wants to write games for a single platform and
plans to keep his/her prices low.   However, on the far end of the
skale if you have multiple platforms, games that cost up to $40, a
large distribution market, then you are looking at something like
$6,000 for a commercial license.  For USA Games we are looking at
about $600for a license for FMOD  which supports Linux and Windows and
let's us sell MOTA and Raceway for something like $30 each. We are
still working out the details with Firelight as the issue is
complicated as I don't want to include the API in just a single game,
but in our G3D Engine which generally is under a different type of
license than the main ones they have. However, if you just want to
release free games Firelight allows you to use the FMOD Ex API  free
of charge.

Anyway, FMOD Ex is definitely the leading audio API on the market
right now. Firelight has been doing more to promote this thing than
anybody else. On Windows they made the very good choice of making it a
standard com component which means you don't have to be strictly a
C/C++ developer to use it. They designed the Windows library in such a
way that it will work with legacy languages like VB 6  as well as the
new .Net languages.  If you are in the mind to write wrappers you
could in theory use it with Python and Java based applications as
well. Then, for Linux and Mac developers they offer a compatible C/C++
library that makes it very easy to write games for Windows, Mac, and
Linux without having to change audio APIs in the process.  All of that
is good, but the features of the API get even better.

For instance, if you use anything like DirectSound, XAudio2, OpenAL,
you have to write your own file open functions which isn't really that
fun to do. If you want to support compressed file types like mp3, ogg,
wma, etc you have to do that yourself as well. FMOD Ex has all that
built into the API from the start. Just tell it to open an mp3, wma,
ogg file, etc and it will open it up and use it. Saving developers x
man hours writing our own open/decompress functionality for our games.

If that wasn't enough it has stereo panning, 3d virtualization,  as
well as real time DSP effects like echo, low pass filters,  etc which
you can use to enhance   the sound of the games ambience. Its really
hard to compare it to anything else as it really has everything a game
dev could want and more.

Cheers!