Hi Dark and all.

Yes what you are talking about is a really serious problem, one factor of
course is that blind people need to be told that these games are out there
and where they go is usually to one of these organizations whether you're
talking about the U.K. or the U.S. or anywhere else I'm sure.  Just as a for
instance I'm an access technology instructor here at a local organization
where I live and while I of course cannot spend a large amount of time on
gaming when teaching a student I do definitely make sure to mention that
these games are out there if people are interested and I will demo games for
people who are interested.

Another thing that you are going to come up against with this is the
demographics of blind people.  Unfortunately if you want to look at it that
way, the majority of blind people are what we'd consider in the older group,
60's 70's etc.  Keep in mind I'm a 40-something year old gamer nerd, I'd
imagine I'm probably one of the older people on this list, but I am one of
the younger blind people down where I work, there are only a couple people
younger than me down there.  I am not sure what the exact statistics are and
I have no clue what the demographics are like over there, but I am sure this
is something you could find out if you are interested.  The end result at
least here is that blind people in their teens and 20's which is where most
people get into gaming are a much smaller number than are the ones that I
just mentioned.  So in a nutshell you've got the ignorance of the blind
population as a whole most of whom have no idea that there are games for us
out there let alone that we can play quite a few mainstream games if we want
to put the time and effort into it plus the fact that the majority of the
blind folks at least here in the state where I live are older folks who may
not have quite as much interest in gaming as we do, although some of the
card/board games might interest them I suppose.  I find at least where I
work is if I am teaching somebody who's say around my age anyway they may
have been into video games before losing their sight and so they may be
interested in finding out both what they can still do with mainstream games
and what is out there in terms of audio games.

I'm not saying all this to be discouraging, I've done demos of the
Blindsoftware games at state convensions for a local organization I am a
member of and given the opportunity I will do so again despite the
relatively low responses I got, I am just trying to hopefully clarify some
of the other issues we may be dealing with when we try to educate other
blind folks about the great amount of stuff that is out there for us.  I
don't know that there's much I can do to assist your efforts as I have
pretty much no knowledge of organizations in the U.K. but this is definitely
a topic that interests me since I've been interested in gaming pretty much
since there have been home video games.

Regards and game on.

Tom