Hi,

Besides the fact computers were very expensive in the 80's and 90's PC
Dos and MS Dos really didn't get home users interested in computers.
It actually forced the user to type something, a valid command like
"cd docs"
rather than just pointing and clicking on it. People are, well, sort
of lazy, and for some people that was too much effort and to much to
remember. IBM did try and resolve this issue starting with PC Dos 5 by
introducing a graphical user interface for Dos called the Dos Shell
that allowed them to point and click on things. However, computers
really didn't become a household item until Windows 3.1 or 3.11 came
out and the price of owning a PC came down in price and you could do a
lot of stuff by point and clicking on buttons, icons, menus, etc. I
admit when I was sighted I prefered a graphical user interface over
Dos too. That's until I lost my sight and the commandline environment
was more friendly, and pointing and clicking was not an option for me.
However, Windows is popular because it makes things easy. You don't
have to think about what your doing and can click on the little trash
can to remove files from the recycle bin, or click on the little
notebook icon to launch Notepad.