Hi Jeremy.

I personally wasn't thinking markitability at all, in fact such things are pretty much not my concern usuall.

However, I can think of a fair few examples where similar games have been created simply by people who wanted to show their superiority in level design and working with an established concept.

Take for instance one of my favourite freeware windows projects, T2002.

the developers built an engine to run the amigar platform game turrican on a pc, with original music and graphics. Then however they released a level editer all for nothing.

the editer has sinse been used by some very tallented designers to create over 150 extra levels for the game, all with different layout and structure, many with unique graphics and music, but all using the same Turrican gameplay and weaponry.

This is not to do with markitability, sinse everything is freeware, simply it is people's love of the concept of the Turrican idea, and their desire to take it to new places, indeed many of the new levels use far higher quality sfx, music and graphics than were ever possible with the original game, or were included with the original T2002 release.

If I personally ever get to the point of developing, it will not stop me if someone has created a similar game, provided what I am doing is absolutely my own design and idea.

Take for instance the fps example.

Were I to create an fps, it would have my! plot, my! weaponry, and my! characters, as well as levels and puzles designed by me.

this to my mind would be more than enough to make it a unique game for people to play, and would give me personally enough satisfaction to create, ---- indeed if I had the skills and the gma engine was stil available this is something I'd actually considder doing.

Beware the grue!