ofcause as we move away from the single cores we start losing things.
Pc speaker is one of them.
The others are the game pad port, serial and paralel port.
In fact later on it will probably if not already the moniter crt port, I know the floppy drive has gone and some systems have smart card connecters. Most have at least network card, some will have bluetooth, and wireless and I know that my new i3 has infrared.
At 04:02 a.m. 24/05/2011, you wrote:
Hi Phil,
In actual fact, some computers still have the PC speaker. Mine and my partner's are two such computers I know of.
Regards,
Damien.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Phil Vlasak" <p...@pcsgames.net>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2011 3:33 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Instructions was Re: pcs games question?

Hi Karl,
I don't think today's computers have a pc speaker anymore.
That is why I have shooting range and breakout on my to do list for conversions.
Other games that used the pc speaker extensively were
ten pin bowling and space invaders.
For those who haven't played the old DOS games,the only way we could hear a sound and hit the shot key was to have the pc speaker play targeting beeps because in DOS we had to stop the running of the game to play real sound effects such as the gun sounds.

We could specify the frequency of the beeps so in our DOS games we had low, medium, and high beep tones. For an example, The beep tones played for tenth of a second and simulated you scanning the world in front of you from left to right. First we played a series of low tone beeps to represent the background to the left of your target, then medium pitch beeps to represent the left side of the object or creature you were shooting at, then an even higher beep to represent the center of that creature or object, followed by more medium beeps to represent the right side of the target, then low tone beeps to represent the background to the right of the target.

This is not the same with windows, so now we can have the beeps as .wav files.

Phil