Hi Phil,

As Willem and I were just discussing off list the issue is that FMOD
and DirectSound use two completely different mathematical scales to
pan sounds and control volume. DirectSound uses a Linear scale to roll
off where FMOD, OpenAL, and XAudio2 use a Logarithmic  scale to roll
off. What I'm going to have to eventually do is create a linniar to
Logarithmic converter which will allow me to pan sounds similar to
DirectSound but convert them to a Logarithmic setting. Its probably
not that hard to do, but I wanted to see how well the new engine
worked in general before attending to these miner issues like this.

Of course, as usual the winers and complainers decided to focus on
this one single issue and run with it. They are making a bigger deal
out of this than it marets. The game is certainly playable as is, and
eventually I'm certain I'll find a decent conversion from DirectSound
to FMOD. It just requires a bit of patients and understanding from the
community at large. I'm getting neither. Instead I'm getting swamped
with moaning, growning, and complaining about it. That's not helping
things.