Hello there,
I recall a discussion on a list awhile back on saving battery power in a laptop. Most if not all laptops have the ability to hook an external monitor to the laptop. There will be a key combo that you can hit to switch the display from the laptop LCD to the external monitor.
If I understand this right when you do this switch the LCD is powerd down.
This will hide what you ar doing from snooping eyes if you have headphones hooked to the laptop.
Robert