Hi tom.

I do take the point about the sfx, music, multiple sound files an speech api's (though as I've said before certainly on the production side of these there are people who can help, ---- in most graphical projects afterall it's not the programmer who actually draws the graphics, even indi games have a graphic designer for that, and many have a sound designer and musician too).

However I do have a couple of questions about the programming end.

firstly, from a purely product orientated point of view, ie, what's in the game, is C better than vb 6?

if you today handed jeremy all your sfx, prerecorded speach and music for mota and asked him to make a windows only vb6 version, would there be areas of fine sound positioning, physics, game mechanics and the like that wouldn't be possible in vb6, the way they are in c? I think this might be the case, but I'd be interested to know for certain.

If we leave aside the cross platform issue and just talk about ease of developement, I'm just wondering what the reason to use C would be, sinse from your description it sounds rather like the long way round.

Even entombed, was I believe programmed not in C but in in c# or C.net, and went from initial concept to 10 level monster in less than 18 months, with more floors following very quickly, yet it apparently uses one of these shortcut languages you mention.

Is in fact cross platform compatibility the only reason why you couldn't write mota in vb6, or another shortcut orientated language?

I'm genuinely quite curious about this, sinse even if we leave aside personal factors, it does seem the amount it takes different people to make games can vary wildly, and it'd be interesting to know from a purely programming perspective the reasons why.

Beware the Grue!