Hi Dark.

That would be a very interesting and fasenating thing to do a PHD on. Good luck with it.

Amanda

From: "dark" <d...@xgam.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 17, 2011 9:28 AM
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Jeremy's incredible programming speed and miscthoughtswas Re: Castaways, 1 week milestone reached!

Hi Tom.

both of these are true, and in fact i'd not thought of stfc myself.

Being as I play gamebooks, i obviously come into contact with a lot of people who play games with a text ui only.

more of these are being released on platforms like the iphone everyday, and are becoming much more popular,---- in fact generally I've noticed that as I pod culture has increased, audio as an overall medium is making something of a come back, look at professional audio companies like graphic audio and big finish as examples, and that's not counting the huge number of ameter things out there do.

it'd be gret if vi devs could take advantage of this situation, however that won't happen while sighted people refuse to play something sinse they assume it is "for the blind!"

Afterall, in fairness most sighted people couldn't imagine using a computer or reading text without any vision at all, hence why I'm asked so often if I have a braille keyboard and whether that is " a normal laptop"

th0ough this is irritating, it's unfortunately a fact of life, but disabled people won't do anything about it without making some efforts to change things, and having blind devs sell games to sighted people is a good way. When I first went to uni, there was a chap called John who was in most of my lectures and became quite a good friend of mine.

it wasn't until I'd known him for about 4 or 5 months that it suddenly turned out he was gay, and in fact i only found out because i met his boyfriend.

I'd rather assumed that any gay man would be openly camp in some sort of way, so to find out john, ---- who if anything was quite the opposite of camp with a very sarcastic and abrasive sense of humour, was gay very much changed my perception entirely and made me realize there isn't any sort of over bearing difference betwene someone who was gay and someone streight.

The same principle applies here, though even more so, sinse unlike being gay, blind people do! have visible differences which need overcoming, and this is something blind people themselves need to considder in their interactions with people, ---- sinse even if a person is completely unprejudiced, if they've never come into contact with anyone blind, they will at least be surprised.

In fact getting people over the "waaa!" he's blind phase is something I've personally had to practice over a long while, and while it is! quite often irritating, it is a necessity.

Btw, this is what the 4th chapter of my phd is on, the social aspect of disability but not merely how society gets in the way of disabled people, also what duties and concerns disabled people have towards others in society in the consciousness that they are disabled.

Beware the grue!