Hi John,

Glad you liked the article. I had to do a fair amount of
experimentation myself to get it all working, but basically that was
the best solution I've found when it comes to playing older games.

As briefly mentioned in the article I love playing the text adventure
systems like Adrift, Tads, and Inform using the text-based Dos
interpreters. Unfortunately, all of the interpreters I use and
like--the ones I find most accessible--are 16-bit Dos applications and
give me a runtime error on Windows 7.That leaves me little choice but
to use the Windows interpreters like Winfrotz or the Adrift 4.x Runner
which I personally find less accessible than their Dos counterparts.

To make matters worse the Adrift Generator--the application you need
to have in order to create Adrift text adventures---was rewritten in
VB 6 for the 4.x release and VB 6 itself is on its way out the door.

What really annoys me most of all is something like Winfrotz TTS is
fairly accessible, works alright on Windows 7, but many older Sapi
voices and engines do not. It is a pain to get apps to use the older
32-bit voices on a 64-bit version of Windows, and I've noticed games
tend to crash more often when using those older voices on a new
Windows system.

There are only two options I can see. One, I buy and maintaine an
older computer with something like XP just for games, or I could setup
a virtual machine using VMWare Player and run it inside a new op using
virtualization. Maintaining a virtual machine on a new computer seems
to be the path of least resistance because it doesn't take up any
physical space, it should run on any modern hardware, and for laptop
users like myself it is very portible.  So that's why I personally
recommend going for virtual machines if you have games such as
Destination Mars that will absolutely not run on a 64-bit version of
Windows like Windows 7.

Cheers!