Hi Dark,

Actually, this already exists. I don't know if you know this but
Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate come with a licensed
Windows XP virtual machine complete with the VB 6 runtime libraries
and the whole nine yards. Granted you have to pay extra for Windows XP
backwards compatibility, but to say Microsoft doesn't already do this
is false. Microsoft knows companies and gamers can't necessarily run
all their older software on Windows 7 Starter and Windows 7 Home so
they've included a Windows XP virtual machine into the Professional
and Ultimate versions of the opperating system. So Microsoft is aware
of the issue, and offer the very feature you mentioned below in their
pro and ultimate versions of Windows 7. Its not a compatibility pack,
but a licensed copy of Windows XP that is installed inside Windows 7
Ultimate so you get the best of both worlds on the same dvd.

This is precisely why I feel you guys are giving Microsoft a bad wrap
here. Microsoft is doing the best they can to maintain long term
backwards compatibility and the way they have done it in Windows 7 is
by using a virtual machine they created specifically for Windows XP
applications. I suppose the only reason most people are unaware of it
is that most PCs from HP, Compaq, Toshiba, Del, etc all come with
Windows 7 Home Premium, and you need Windows Ultimate to get all of
the applications and extras for Windows 7 Microsoft has to offer
including a licensed copy of XP for the Windows 7 virtual machine. I
really recommend doing a bit of research about this topic as I think
you just opened your mouth and inserted your foot on that one.

Cheers!