I agree.  I'm currently in the middle of adding a new set of player tracking
features, and fixing the bug that is messing up player foot steps.  These few
changes will really make a huge difference when it comes to working as a group
I think.  I'm also planning to add the ability to give people items, though the
reason is actually centered more around instance missions.

When entering an instance mission with a team of people, you will need to have
brought along any supplies you'll need.  In the regular map you can buy more
gear or find loot, but in many of the instances this is not an option.  The one
that's currently being coded is a fine example.  You and your team are sent to
a warehouse to collect a certain number of supply crates which are desperately
needed by the people at the Safe zone.  While at the warehouse you are totally
separate from the normal map so there is no safe zone, plus you don't have
weapon or ammo loot anywhere.  Everything your team will use must be brought
with you when you enter the mission.  In the course of defending the warehouse
from invading zombies, which shatter windows and break down doors to enter from
more locations, it is very possible that some of your team will get low on ammo
or lose a gun they desperately needed.  The ability to share equipment will
mean the difference between
 victory and your entire team dying because the plan fell apart.