Hi.
The big thing I like better about IE9 over 8 is that it handles downloading a lot better. Starting a download is simpler and you don't have those annoying things where you have to tell it that yes you want to download the file, then reload the page and hit the download link again just to get it to start the download. You just hit enter on the link, then either hit ctrl+j after you hear the notification bar sound to go to the download manager where you can choose what to do with the download or you could just press alt+s to save or alt+r to run. Like when Jeremy releases a new version of swamp I just press enter on the link in the email. IE9 opens and asks me in the information bar, rather than in a pop up dialogue like we're used to, what I want to do. I know of that because of the information bar sound, so I just hit alt+s. If I want to watch what the download is doing, I can hit ctrl+j to open up the download manager similar to Firefox. I can arrow up and down the list of downloads, and when I land on one that's in progress, for some computers jaws actually will read it every now and then when the numbers change, and for others it won't. I haven't figured out what makes the difference but when it does it, it reminds me of Voiceover's interaction with the download manager of Saphari on the mac. So anyway when the download finished, I should be aware of that if I hear the sound that indicates as much, even if I went off reading emails or something instead of watching the numbers. So I can go to the start menu and type dow, short for downloads of course, into the search box and arrow down till I hear downloads. I hit enter there and that opens my user account's downloads folder and, because I have set the sort order to date modified rather than by name, do to the fact that I also have it set to descending sort order, the just downloaded file is at the top of the list, the first item I land on. Now I really like how easy that is.

I tried chrome, but I can't find a way to turn off the loading of pictures. So far it looks to me like it's actually pretty darn simplified and non configurable. I must be missing something. I went to options but there's nothing like that in there, nor a way to make it play sounds for page loads and other events like we're used to IE doing. I turn off images because since I can't see them there's absolutely no point what so ever in waiting those extra seconds for them to load. Turning them off results in very noticeable improvements as far as page load time goes. I do miss the status bar though. I managed to turn it on, on my Umid MBook SE, but I don't remember how I did it. Besides, even when on, I don't think it shows the same information as it did in IE8, you know, waiding for page... etc.

You know, even though I did mention downloading a game here, I know we're off topic. But you have to admit, when this list gets one of it's frequent off topic threads going, it's usually something good. Really though, it's a pretty in the air question, since there are plenty of games that are played in, and that might be affected by the differences of browsers. Also, regarding the recent discussion of Jim's hardware, that's definitely on topic since gaming is of course affected by what kind of hardware you try to run it on.

Speaking of which, my Umid MBook SE turned out to be very amusing as far as a gaming computer goes. At first, it was nasty trying to play swamp until some people on here pointed out that maybe I had graphics mode turned on. I did, even though I can't see at all, no idea how it got turned on. So I turned it off and it worked fine after that. Well sort of. The touch pad is in the lid, just to the right of the screen. You operate it with your thumb, unless you really want to stick your pointer finger out and swipe at it that is. But it's a touch pad, not a trackball or even one of those little rubbery things you slide your finger on like a lot of linovo computers have that people are so happy with because they hate the way touch pads always jump all over the place when they're not trying to use them. Touch pads generally use heat to figure out where you're touching them, and I don't think the one on the Umid MBook SE is an exception. The problem is, your thumb takes up the whole thing. This means it has a hard time perceiving movements of your thumb since it can't really sense heat moving around on it given of course as I said your finger's heat takes up the whole thing anyway. The best way to get it to move around is to kind of swipe at it without actually touching it, about a millimeter away or so. It's funny because if you try touching it, sliding right, then lift your thumb and move back to the left, press your thumb down on it and swipe right again, trying to turn to the right, you actually turn left or just kind of dance around and don't get very far. There are two buttons on the left side of the screen which allow you to left or right click. Those work as expected in swamp. What's surprising though is the touch screen. If you touch the screen, you start firing your weapon. I hoped to be able to play some of swamp with the screen, Be nice to get some use out of it given I haven't any other use for it until I get windows 8 on the computer that is.

Actually now that I think of it, I'm glad I raddled on about that, because I just realized with the ability to change key config, I bet if I set it up so that left click doesn't do anything, I might be able to assign fire weapon to something else like space, which is what I did on this hp anyway, to well fire my weapon. Hopefully that would allow me to turn around on the touch screen, which isn't much bigger than a touch pad anyway, so it should seem natural if it works other than the fact that it'd be a touch pad on it's side facing me. lol. That computer makes a nice gaming computer, other than the fact that it's kind of uncomfortable to hold onto when you're using headphones, which of course you'll need for most audio games, especially given the fact it only has one speaker. It's practically a gameboy or something, it only weighs 0.8lbs. It has no fan. It's got a 32gb ssd, a pretty lousy one at that, very slow at writing. It's not too awful bad at reading data I think, though. It uses an intel atom z530, which is a dsingle core hyperthreaded 1.6ghz processor. And it's got 1gb of ram. It fits easily in my back pocket. Lol.

Ok, enough raddling off, even if I am on topic now since I really have been playing around with games on that computer. It runs topspeed very well. I'm going to install Swamp 1.8b, and the patch for it haha, and change my keyconfig to find out if I can turn around with the touch screen now.
Sent with Thunderbird 3.1.14 portable.