Hi Ian.
Punctuation is as important as good grammar and spelling. I found your
message  hard to follow.

As a rule of thumb I skip messages if someone did not bother with at
least getting most of the punctuation and spelling right. My reasoning
which is wrong in many cases I'm sure, follows that if you did not
bother to use good language, chances are you did not think through
what you are writing about. It is different for those who use English
as a second or third language, but it is also easy to differentiate
between sloppy writers and non English writers.

I should also probably add that English is my second language and this
is why I take extra care when composing a message.