Hi,
I always check messages after I have finished them, to make sure they are readable, and in case I want to add anything extra in. As far as spell checking goes, I actually don't use an in built spell checker for checking my typing, unless I am in word for example. A far more useful application I have found for checking spelling, is called tiny spell, and this functions as a spell checker throughout windows, and it makes the computer sound a chime sound whenever it picks up on a spelling error, its particularly useful in situations where you normally wouldn't have a spell checker, for example in skype or msn chats, or even when trying to do an on line search as it just sits in the background.
I also use it for auto capitalising the first letter of sentences.
I have a set of jaws scripts as well for the program, which give several options for getting jaws to spell spelling suggestions as you arrow over them, as it does in word.

The program is quite good, I do sometimes have to use word or even google if I can't figure out a particular spelling and tiny spell can't get it either. If people want to try the program, there is a free and a payed version, though I think the scripts only work with the payed version, due to differences between both versions. The scripts are not publicly available for download, a friend wrote them for me a few years ago, but the site he made them available on was taken down some time ago, but I would be happy to send to anyone who wants them.
tiny spell can be downloaded from
http://tinyspell.numerit.com/
the free version is just called tiny spell,
the paid version is called tiny spell plus, but the word plus is actually a + symbol. I find using the scripts useful, as it helps me learn where I make common mistakes rather than just going down and selecting the correct spelling, I like to listen to it to know for next time. There are also several different dictionaries that can be used with it, depending on your language.