Correct Richard.  When you pick up a crate another will randomly appear
somewhere within the warehouse.  You aren't limited to how many you can hold,
so some players will gather up a few before making the trip back to the truck
to drop them off.  There will only ever be 1 crate in the warehouse at any
given time.

It has confused a few people when they realized they could gather up more
crates than the mission is even for.  This was done intentionally since dying
means the crates you're carrying will be destroyed.  In a mission where you
only need 10 crates, you could have 6 people on your team all carrying 5
crates!  That's 3 times as many as you actually need, but it was done this way
in case some of your team mates are killed before returning to the truck.  This
does mean that a single person could wander around collecting 30 or 40 crates
if they wished, but it won't give them anything extra if they do.