I've officially confirmed that some times the mini mission items aren't
appearing to players properly.  I plan to figure out why and have it fixed
soon.  The mini missions require you to search around so I fear that many
people will give up right away and assume it's a bug when in fact the item was
just in another place or they didn't look around well enough.  From testing
missions myself I actually found 8 or 9 with no problems before I finally hit
one that didn't show up properly, so odds are pretty good that the item has
properly appeared when you head out looking for it.  I will look for the bug
though.