Hi Dave,

Yes, unfortunately, Python still requires that you use proper
indention rules when writing software. That's pretty much how it gets
away without using braces, brackets, and all the other trappings of
C/C++ by defining blocks of code based on indention and proper
spacing. That said, once you learn how to properly format your code
eventually it becomes second nature to you.

I guess in that respect I'm fortunate that I learned to format code
properly a long time ago, and have been doing it in Java, C++, Visual
Basic, you name it for what seems like forever. After a while its so
automatic to me that the fact Python absolutely requires me to indent
this statement one or two tabs is nothing new.

I think when it comes to Python programming NVDA has the upperhand
because when you have it enabled NVDA will announce your tabbed
indention as you write your code. It lets you hear how many times this
or that line has been indented with the tab key so you can determine
if you have indented it faar enough or not. Then, if you have access
to a braille display that is even better because you can follow the
formatting in braille. I don't have a braille display myself, but I've
heard people who prefer programming with one for that very reason.

Of course, Python is by no means the only option available here. Its
merely the one I liked best. Perl is equally up to writing text
adventures too, and it has a C style syntax for those people looking
for a more C/C++ look and feel to the language. If indenting is an
issue something like Perl might be a better substitute. Although, I
haven't used Perl in so long I'm not even sure what game specific APIs
and libraries are out there for Perl these days. :D

Anyway, bottom line, there are quite a lot of scripting languages
available Python, Perl, Ruby, Jython, TCL, etc. I'm sure if one isn't
sutible there is probably another one that will suit. Its just that
Python has pretty much become the adopted scripting language of choice
among open source developers, and there is quite a bit of interest in
creating games in Python these days.

Since PyGame came out, which is a Python wrapper for SDL, there have
been a number of free games for Linux produced in Python and PyGame.
Python has in its own way become the Visual Basic of the open source
world in large part because it was designed from the ground up to
target new programmers with little to no experience. Plus SDL has
always had a very simple design, that's why it is called Simple Direct
Media Layer, and PyGame actually makes it even simpler.

Its for reasons like that I've been turning more and more to Python
for any kind of open source development I do. My game Star Trek: Final
Conflict was initially written in C++, then was rewritten in C# .NET,
and the new version has been written in Python. In part because I want
it to run on Linux, but I must confess the fact it is simpler than
either to use and speeds up development time its preferable to the
commercial programming languages.

Cheers!