Hi Tom.

It is true that I have my own folders in xp set as lists, and the windows 7 machine I tried wasn't mine, I just wasn't sure whether all those buttons and random controls were part of the interface or could be disabled.

Beware the grue!

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 8:37 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Monopoly

Hi Dark,

As far as Windows Explorer goes I haven't experienced the issue you described. Its true that Windows Explorer is different, has buttons all over the place, etc but that's not effected me using it in the way you described. I'm wondering if this is a screen reader issue as I'm using NVDA without issue with Windows Explorer, or that you simply don't have Windows Explorer setup correctly.

For example, if I press enter on Documents Explorer opens up and NVDA lands on the first item in the list. Now, I have my copy of Windows Explorer to display all of my items in a list which is more accessible than the default, and that might be an issue for you as well. By default I think Explorer is set to details which is less user friendly for me and I have to arrow around to find things where setting the view settings to display items in a list does just that so all I have to do is up or down arrow through the list of files and folders.

Basically, what I am saying is many of the issues you mention have workarounds. Windows 7 is very accessible. I've not had any serious access issues with it and NVDA. I can't speak for Supernova, of course, but I think if you have an issue with something like Windows Explorer changing the view settings will go a long ways to correcting the issue. Its just a matter of knowing how to reconfigure things in Win 7 to get the most accessibility out of the OS. Its a clear case of "knowing is half the battle."

Same could be said for Ubuntu 12. In its default state its not very accessible, but I'm an old Linux user so know how to go in and set everything up so that I have a stable and accessible environment. Just a few days ago I put Ubuntu 12 beta 1 on on a virtual machine. When I installed it I could barely use it because Unity is broken access wise. No problem for me though. I switched over to a console, braught up speakup, and downloaded Gnome 3.2 from the Ubuntu software repository, edited a couple of files for lightdm, rebooted the virtual machine, logged in, and came up with the Orca screen reader and an accessible desktop environment. So what's the moral of the story?

Simply this. Don't assume something isn't accessible because you've had bad experiences with it. If you educate yourself on accessibility, learn what features an operating system has for accessibility, talk to others how to resolve accessibility issues, chances are you can get the most out of your operating system. Regardless if we are talking about Windows 7 or the latest Linux release knowing how to resolve access issues will make it possible to stay up to date and be on an equal level with our sighted peers.

I think what happens in all too many cases the average blind user tries a piece of software, has trouble with it, and give up on it completely. They assume because they ran into access issues early on that this or that isn't accessible even though there may be ways to workaround the issue or by changing a few default settings a piece of inaccessible software is made accessible.

For instance, I remember I was on a tech list where a blind user said Avast was totally inaccessible when he tried it. I asked him if he had gone into preferences and changed a couple of settings. He answered no. The sad part of this particular case is that he didn't know what settings were needed to be changed to make Avast accessible, didn't ask how to make Avast accessible, assumed it wasn't accessible, and uninstalled it without any further investigation what-so-ever. Then, told everyone else it wasn't accessible based on his experience which was extremely limited at best.

I'll just sum up by saying that people need to take more time and have a little more patients with software. They shouldn't just assume something isn't accessible or can't be made accessible because they spent a few minutes with it and gave up. Obviously the software is new to them, they haven't learned how to get the most out of the software, and should take some time getting to know it before just writing it off.

Cheers!